Monday, September 3, 2007

Harvey Wallbanger Cake/Cupcakes with Galliano Cream



I gotta have a little fun (or a little drink sometimes) when in the kitchen, so why not put the drink in the cake??? Everyone that I have talked to about this cake has said, "I think my grandmother used to make that cake or drink that drink." I also have to admit that I cheated a bit on this recipe - it starts with a boxed, cake mix!
The recipe uses Galliano liqueur, which is a vanilla liqueur and comes in a tall, skinny bottle. If you don't like the cake, you will surely like Galliano with a little o.j. or maybe in some coffee.
Found this recipe on the Chowhound.com boards:
1 package yellow cake mix
1 small package instant vanilla pudding
¼ cup Galliano liqueur
¼ cup vodka
2/3 cup orange juice
½ cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Pour in a greased bundt cake pan, sheet cake pan, or cupcake molds and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until done.
Galliano Cream Frosting (Made this recipe up using bits from various cream cheese frosting recipes):
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
4 tbsps unsalted butter, room temperature
Seeds from 1/2 a vanilla pod
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 to 1/2 cup Galliano liqueur, depending on your taste
Cream the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the powdered sugar. Add the Galliano and mix one more time. Put in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes to allow it to firm up.
The lowdown:
1. I used a bundt cake pan when baking this cake. I reserved a little batter and baked 6 cupcakes also. This is my new favorite way of testing the finished product and not putting on 15 pounds every weekend!
2. The bundt cake took about 34 minutes, and the cupcakes took about 22 minutes.
3. I used a rather big bag of pudding, so I would actually use more Galliano and vodka next time. I could only detect a trace of both in the finished product.
4. The frosting was a bit cream cheesy, so I would add more Galliano there and maybe a smidgen more powdered sugar.
5. This turned out beautifully, and I would suggest it for its level of ease!

No comments: